Sunday, January 13, 2008

Coffee stirrer

My first encounter with this 'Coffee Stirrer' was during my college days. Hot chocolate was getting popular in Chennai and small stalls were sprouting up in all local train stations. One day, I decided to try it, finally succumbing to my tongue. I got a small cup of hot chocolate and he game me a straw(or that's what I thought). The straw looked different - tiny and cute. I used the straw to drink the hot(very hot) chocolate and the moment it reached my tongue, hmmm....you know what would have happened. Assuming that my taste buds have been destroyed permanently, I rejoiced when I started feeling my tongue again.

Anyway, even then I didn't realize that it's a stirrer and not a straw. But that story was long forgotten until last week. I happened to use a stirrer and suddenly remembered this incident and wondered why stirrers are hollow. I goodSearch-ed(www.goodsearch.com) 'coffee stirrers' and found this interesting article.
http://www.benratesitall.com/index.php?id=1128577696.Coffee%20Stirrers.msc

However, I couldn't find an answer to my question...
Why are coffee stirrers designed as mini straws, rather why are they hollow?

As Ben mentions in his article, is it just to save manufacturing costs. With everyone going "GREEN", maybe it's high time we start thinking about non-plastic stirrers.
Also, why do we have disposable stirrers - how much plastic is being wasted damaging the environment! Anyway, that's a topic for another whole article.

3 comments:

Deepak said...

Starbucks provides wooden stirrers. In terms of bio degradability this is better. But not sure what wood this is - if this comes from trees, it is much worse!

Malliga said...

Hahaha Ramya.......I had the same experience with coffee straws..... that's how I used to call when I was in India.:-)I thought we only have to drink coffee using the straw if any straw is provided.hehe
Now I realise those are just stirrers and not straws. Why do they design it so small and thin? Even I wonder why. If you get a large cup of coffee then the stirrer gets immersed into the coffee. :-( This is very frustrating for a person like me who loves coffee.:-(

Malliga said...

Rams I don't know why my name is showing as siv. It's me Malliga.