Sunday, November 02, 2008

Smile

It was one of those days when my spirit was at a low ebb. Something shocking had come to my notice and I was shaken totally. I was more shaken to realize that this thing has been going on in the world always, but just because it came to my notice, I got so hurt and heartbroken.

It was almost 24hours since I was like that and I was walking to the parking lot from my office on this friday evening. I had a long face and deep in my thoughts. I just crossed a bar when an old man(looked American, but he had a little accent) came out and told me 'Smile'. That was it, I forgot everything and I was just there at that moment. I smiled big and he said 'look how pretty you are when you smile'. I just couldn't stop feeling happy at this lovely reminder on what is important in life.

He spoke to me for a minute - I hardly remember what exactly he spoke. He was telling me how important it is to smile. He asked me if I was a bartender and I said 'No'. He asked me if I was studying, and for some reason I nodded my head. Then his parting statement was 'Don't talk to strangers, except me' and he walked away to get his car. I crossed the road, all the while smiling and feeling so happy. After crossing the road, I turned around to acknowledge him and he was driving away, but he did look at me and we waved at each other. I felt so grateful.

Who was he? I have no idea, but he came at the right moment in my life to give me such a simple reminder. This life is full of surprises and hope - if alone we could open our eyes and see it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Really what that old man got from u is the true in everyone's life. If you tell in Tamil language, when u r pronouncing itself, you will look smiling. Many are unaware of this. Even if it is said to them, some take into and some ignore it. But it is a great life experience, if that single word is followed. I often in my younger days, followed this. That is when i am out of mood, i use to smile which will make u forget the reason for ur moodout. And smile will keep one - healthy, good looking and cheerful. Good luck.SMILE..smile...

Ramsi said...

It's very true, Chitra akka. In the last few years, there have been many times, when I just tried to smile when I'm upset. It has helped always :-)

Dharani said...

To Keep similing think of your baby, talk to your baby, then you will be surprised to see that you are already smiling.